Friday, May 15, 2009

Peace Officer's Memorial

This week is National Peace Officer's Memorial Week to commemorate those who have given their lives in the line of duty. Thankfully, no officers died this past year in Wisconsin. Nonetheless, the ceremony was very moving.

The Governor issued an Executive Order for the flags to be flown at half-staff in honor of all those who have fallen.



Flags are flown half-staff today at the State Capitol (Madison, WI)

If any of you know police officers, you know that they could come across anything anytime. Most of us go to work, sit at a desk, and have a routine where nothing too unexpected can happen. But these men and women are out on the streets, highways, risking their lives to protect us. Even a routine traffic stop is full of uncertainty. It's important to just take a moment and reflect on what they do and pause to remember those who have died in the line of duty.

Two more tulip pictures I took today. Most of the tulips are gone, as the squirrels have eaten them! Only stalks are left.






I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend. I am going to head to the farmer's market tomorrow (if the weather is nice)(Hopefully I can avoid the crazy traffic because it's graduation weekend.. ugh....)

Do you go to the local farmer's market? What are your favorite items to buy? Who are are favorite vendors?

4 comments:

Anita said...

Thank-you for such a nice post and over a topic that I totally agree with you on! What pretty tulips you have! As to farmer's markets...I still haven't found the one that is supposed to be here, but I would love to! I think if I could...I'd buy tomatoes, green beans, some corn, anything like that! Yummy! Hope you get the weather to visit your's!

Deb said...

pretty tulips...I love to go to the farmers market...I always over buy...lot's of graduations going on for the next few weeks...

Dani said...

Anita- I am glad you also appreciate the post and the importance of the topic. Good luck finding the f. market in your area.

Dani said...

Deb- thank you! They are gorgeous. I dislike graduation weekend because there are so many out-of-towners driving around and they have no idea where they are going- and streets downtown are confusing due to a lot of one ways. I shouldn't complain too much though, as I graduated last May.